you're reading...
Tragically Hip

Hello MCM Family!

Midcenturyobsession. That’s the best way I can illustrate what has in such a short time, completely taken me over. I’ll explain it by way of blame, which is what my generation is so well known for….

I recently inherited my Grandmother’s vintage writing desk and bedroom suite. I’d always loved clean lines, but hadn’t had the inclination to go Mid Century Modern on my own. That was, until I got “Nana’s” totally hip stuff. It got me thinking, “I wonder if there are some accessories to go with all this wood?” I hit Ebay, Craigslist, and discovered this whole world, nay- this movement I didn’t even know existed. A little about me: I don’t have a decorator’s background- My degree is in HGTV. My lineage however, is steeped in tragically hip. “Nana” as we called her, or “Fairy Faye” had exquisite taste in fashion and furniture. Her personal life was a mess…which ultimately affected her furniture but that’s another story and we’ll get to that later.

In the past few months, my husband, son and I have been waiting for our home in California to close. We relocated to California to be closer to family. We’ve finally moved in, and I’ve decided to re-decorate. My husband thinks I’m completely nuts. In fairness, I think he’s actually catching the fever – and he’s encouraged me to think about starting a business centered around the buying and selling of Mid Century Modern furniture, which I will henceforward refer to as MCM.  Annnnnnddd why not? He’s seen how much I’m willing to spend on it! Certainly there are other crazy people just like me out there, obsessed with MCM!

I even have my own consultant….my mother, who has a good eye and has marveled with me about just how much an ugly ceramic Siamese Cat will go for on Ebay. Ceramic cats that she grew up with, and subsequently were thrown away.  She often says when we’re walking a flea market together, or perusing the web for treasures, “I wish Nana was here with us. She’d LOVE THIS.”

So on the day of her birthday, August 18th I finally figured out what my blog would be about, and to whom I would dedicate it. As the song goes,” Fare thee well my Fairy Faye.”

Advertisements

About midcenturyobsession

My love for midcentury surfaced after inheriting a couple pieces of my very fashionable grandmother's MCM furniture. I'd always loved clean lines...and became obsessed. I'm currently in the process of redoing our entire home in Mid Century style. My husband would tell you "She's off her head." (Irish-speak for NUTS.) I am the wife of a Dubliner, a mother to an adorable little boy and two clownish french bulldogs Pig and Pearl. I graduated with a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice. If there is anything I learned earning my degree, it was that I didn't want to pursue criminal justice. My heart just wasn't in it. I played 2 years of volleyball on a full scholarship and graduated a 4 year college in 3 years. I lived in Dallas for a very long time and left friends behind to be closer to family for my son. A native Californian, I have to say it's great to be back home.

Discussion

14 thoughts on “Hello MCM Family!

1. I love those ceramic cats, my grandma had them too lol

Posted by Andi | August 20, 2012, 3:05 pm
  2. What a wonderful blog Ms. MSM. Your grandmother would be so proud. I am quite impressed by your choice of pieces and find myself looking for MSM pieces for you whilst out in my travels. I luv your furniture pieces which is beautifully viewable via your blog photo. Have fun hunting ;o)

Posted by Senta | August 20, 2012, 9:05 pm
  3. OMG Brooke! I love how the house is turning out and it totally fits you! I will be coming by this week to see you and the house, maybe we can starts “new adventures” together! :o) Love ya! xoxo

Posted by Stacy | August 21, 2012, 3:43 pm
  4. HI Brooke, I bought by Mom 3 ceramic siamese cats about 35 years ago – she still has them displayed (one held together by superglue that she did a wonderful job repairing). I shall keep my eyes on those and make sure she does not let go of them. Thanks for the great tips – your living room belongs in a magazine!!
    Debbie L.

Posted by Debbie | August 21, 2012, 6:05 pm
  5. I love ceramic cats and breathing cats too. Nice work, B. I would say that you are definitely the highlight of the room.

Posted by Lola Martinez after 10 pm only | August 21, 2012, 9:27 pm
  6. Holy WOW. This is great stuff! ~ The compelling story and the art. You come from a long line of creative, gutsy, beautiful ladies. Congratulations, Brooke, on this novel and exciting path. Great blog, great photos.

Posted by ceremoniesbycindie.com | August 24, 2012, 12:15 am
    • Cindie! I just emailed Brooke to let her know that your endorsement carries real weight !! But she deserves all the credit…She has naviagated the gene pool with shear passion, determination and fearlessness! Not the type of characteristics that one is handed with their questionalble DNA! Nevertheless, your encouragement and insights mean so much! Love ya, Robin

Posted by Robin Lindsay | August 24, 2012, 4:07 pm
  7. Brooker–You have always possessed the uniqueness of flair and grace. I am totally excited and not the least bit surprised by your latest incredible idea. I love it. You are one talented and delightful person and I am glad that you were an integral part of my life.

Love you-coach

Posted by marybeth czajkowski | August 26, 2012, 9:13 pm
  8. Ah, sentimental journeys. My NANA took pride in appearances. Here too was a strong woman that survived WWII, lived in a Egyptian refugee camp with two small children, immigrated to the US, and raised a family while her husband was out to sea for months at a time. Nana could not leave the house without coifed hair, presentable clothes, and never granny-shoes. Many years ago, her home had white carpet and clear vinyl coverings encasing the entire sofa. That living room graced with grape clusters (clear resin?) on the coffee table was for entertaining; the rumpus room was where grandpa could smoke a cigar.
    When Nana passed in October of 2010 she left behind the cleanest, uncluttered home imaginable. I presume keeping things clean and orderly helped her cope with what could have otherwise unraveled her nerves.
    I treasure the penguin ice bucket that I always thought of as ‘the cookie jar’.

How can I add a picture?

Signed: Aunt D – the lines are blurred