This week, I have so much to share but first and foremost, I want to thank my fellow fanatic in thrifting and blogging, Lin from Hot For Houses for the Liebster Award nomination. Thank you, Lin! What is the Liebster Award you ask? Well, it’s basically to recognize up and coming writers/bloggers that are newer to the blogosphere and have under 500 viewers.
This nomination means that I get to answer some fun Q & A. Ready friends?
1. When did you start your blog, and what influenced you to start it?
I started MidCenturyObsession in August 2012. I dedicated my blog to my late Grandmother, because after inheriting her fantastic mid-century modern furniture, I discovered this whole (addictive) world I didn’t even know existed. I’ve been obsessed ever since!
2. Describe yourself in one word.
3. What day of the week do you enjoy most?
Wednesday. Specifically the morning. Best time to thrift, be on the road, shop and enjoy not having to wait in line.
4. Do you collect anything? If so, what?
I’m actually the anti-collector. I’d describe myself as a minimalist. I LOVE to discard stuff (by stuff, that excludes MCM furniture. I have a whole different stance about that). If it doesn’t get used, it gets garage saled, Craigslisted, or donated. What a refreshing way to start over, or give a space a new look; to go back to scratch.
5. What is something you’ve done that you’re proud of?
I’ve learned to rescue and refinish furniture. One of the most rewarding things for me is to find something that needs a little lovin’ and to have the ability to give it life again. Plus, I can listen to Michael Jackson while pretending to be Michael Jackson, and no one can judge.
6. Currently, what song makes you happy?
Pretty much anything by The Black Keys makes me happy.
7. What is one piece of technology that you can’t live without?
My laptop. My “smartphone” mostly makes me feel stupid. And how can people stand everything being so tiny?
8. What has challenged you about blogging?
It’s been a challenge for me NOT to worry about what others think. I’m a people-pleaser by nature, and blogging has been very challenging in that I spend time I shouldn’t worrying about how many people will like what I have to say.
9. What would be a perfect day for you?
Being on the beach, hearing the surf, with my feet in the warm sand – watching my son fly a kite. (on a Wednesday when no one else is there)
10. How does your blog inspire others?
I would hope that my blog inspires others to try new projects, tackle DIY with optimism and remember that you seriously don’t have to pay retail for fantastic furniture. Blessed be the thrifty. No matter what your style – if you have a little patience and determination you can make any space uniquely yours (for less!).
11. What is your favorite food recipe?
I cook for a 5-year-old right now. If it involves cheese, it’s a winner. My favorite recipe would be a delicious steak and garlic mashed potatoes that I didn’t have to make, or clean up after.
So through this process I realized that I haven’t read the instructions thoroughly and should have answered totally different questions. (Like school, all over again) Whatevs. I also realized that I don’t follow enough up and comers like myself. Slap on hand. I will do better in the future! 7 out of 11 isn’t so bad.
Here are my nominees:
Hot For Houses – Check it out. For reals.
WestCoastModern – Where I got my fantastic teal couch. These guys are amazing!
New Questions for the Nominees:
1. What or who inspired you to become a blogger?
2. What is your favorite blog that you subscribe to? (big or small)
3. What is your favorite kind of music?
4. What do you do for fun?
5. Favorite childhood memory?
6. Name a place you love to visit and why.
7. What or who is the biggest influence in your life?
8. Wine: red or white?
9. Conan O’Brien or Jimmy Fallon?
10. Beach or Mountains?
11. What would be your last meal?
Rules for the Nominees:
1. Answer the questions from the person who nominated you.
2. Nominate 11 new blogs with 500 followers or less.
3. Post 11 new questions for you nominees to answer.
4. Tag your nominees in your post and leave a comment on their blog letting them know they have been nominated!
Special PostScript Especially for Lin of Hot For Houses…
1. If you could know one person who is no longer alive, who would it be?
2. Wine, or Jägermeister shot?
Wine all the way.
3. Who is your biggest influence?
My mother. She rocks.
4. Who has influenced you the least?
My dogs only influence the furniture I have to refinish. Other than that, they’re pretty mute on most subjects.
5. If you could be any place other than where you are right now, where would it be?
A warm sunny beach with a huge margarita in my hand…a magazine, and no one else around.
6. Edward or Jacob?
Never succumbed to the series.
7. Bella or Rosalie?
8. How often do you write in your blog?
I try for and most often complete 1/week.
9. How often do you wish you could write in your blog?
I think I’d exhaust myself any more than 1 time a week
10. If you could be on any reality T.V. show, what would it be?
Anything with Jeff Lewis. He makes me laugh.
11. What book or movie best describes you?
The Runaway Bride.
Thanks again, Lin! I’m honored! 🙂